Professional registration and academic degrees:
Besides two certificate programs and many professional conferences in Canada and the U.S., I trained for two weeks in Australia with Michael White, co-founder of Narrative Therapy. In B.C. I am registered with my professional college to work in private practice with individuals, couples, families, and groups (Reg.#3263). The designation of R.C.S.W. is a step beyond R.S.W. that includes a North American clinical board exam.
M.S.W., East Carolina University, with graduate courses and clinical supervision in the counselling of individuals, couples, families, and groups
Ph.D., University of Chicago, English Language and Literature
B.A., Duke University, Durham, NC
Selected advanced training in psychotherapies:
- Two weeks, Intensives I and II in Narrative Therapy, Michael White, Dulwich Centre, Adelaide, Australia
- Two-day workshop on diagnosis and treatment with Otto Kernberg, MD, World Council for Psychotherapy Conference, Vienna, Austria
- Four, four-day conferences in narrative practices, Therapeutic Conversations VI-X Conferences, Vancouver, BC
- Two-year training program in Gestalt Psychotherapy with Certificate, Jack Mullen, Ph.D., Boone, NC
- Three, 3-day conferences, American Academy of Psychotherapists, Montreal, San Francisco, and Atlanta
- Four-day conference on brief psychotherapies, Therapeutic Conversations 2, Reston, VA
Couples and family therapy:
- Narrative Therapy with Couples, Vicky Dickerson and David Marston, Therapeuptic Conversations IX Conference, Vancouver, BC
- Graduate university courses in Couples Therapy, Family Therapy, and Advanced Family Therapy
- Divorce: How Families Cope and What Helps, Judith Wallerstein
- Two-year Intensive in Satir Family Therapy, as video person, Satir Institute, Chapel Hill, NC
Anxiety, trauma, sexual compulsivity:
- Two-day Mood & Anxiety Disorders Conference, Riverview Hospital, Port Coquitlam, BC
- Two-day conference, Trauma, Dissociation and Attachment, Vancouver, B.C.
- Two-day workshop, Trauma and Sexual Compulsivity, Masters & Johnson, Charlotte, NC
- “Receiving and Responding to Stories of trauma and social suffering, 5 hours, Therapeutic Conversations IX Conference, Vancouver, B.C.
- “Working with Interrupted or Lost Storylines,” 5 hours,TC IX Conference, Vancouver, B.C.
Misuse of alcohol and marijuana
- Conversations on Alcohol and Drug Use, Becoming Resilient: Overturning Common Sense, Receiving and Responding to Stories of Trauma and Suffering, Therapeutic Conversations IX Conference, Vancouver, B.C.
- “Insider, Outsider, and the Generative Space in between” [youth & drugs], Allisonn Rice and Dennis Dion, Therapuetic Conversation X Conference, Vancouver, B.C.
- Eleventh Substance Use State of the Art Conference, Kill Devil Hills, NC
- Course, Substance Use Counseling, Community College, Sanford, NC
- Substance Use Protocol, Issues of Orientation and Evaluation, Raleigh, NC
- Group certification course and three, 4-day group trainings at three conferences of Atlanta Group Psychotherapy Association, Atlanta, GA
- Two-day workshops plus three-day conference, American Group Psychotherapy Association, San Francisco, CA
- Two 5-day group therapy trainings (experiential), Jack Mulgrew, PhD, Appalachian State U., NC
- Group Psychotherapy, graduate course, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC